When it's cold outside we really yearn for winter warmers! Scott's Chilli Con Carne Recipe is the perfect dish for a cold winter's day.
This tasty comfort food is a classic favourite, and Scott's recipe is sure to be a hit with everyone at the dinner table. It's made with minced beef and pork, kidney beans, and a variety of spices.
This Chilli Con Carne recipe is bursting with flavour and is easy to prepare. Whether you're hosting a family dinner or simply looking for a delicious meal to enjoy, Scott's Chilli Con Carne Recipe is the perfect choice.
So, grab your apron and get ready to cook up a storm with this tasty recipe!
- 1 tsp cumin seeds
- 1 tsp coriander seeds
- 1 tsp cardamon pods
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 1 white onion
- 1 carrot
- 1 stick celery
- 1 tbsp tomato puree
- 500g pork mince
- 500g beef mince
- 250ml red wine
- 500ml beef stock
- 1 jar passata (300ml)
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 800ml water
- 300g rice
- Olive oil
- Salt and pepper
- Toast the cumin seeds and coriander seeds lightly in a heavy bottomed saucepan and crush the cardamon pods and add the seeds as well. Toast until lightly browned - approx. 3 minutes.
- Pour the seeds into a pestle and mortar or spice grinder and add a pinch of salt and black pepper. Grind into a fine powder.
- Now heat the heavy bottomed saucepan on a high heat and add a tablespoon of olive oil. Allow this to heat until really hot. Then add half the beef mince and half the pork mince and half of the spice mix. Then add the 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes. Cook until browned, stirring occasionally.
- When browned, pour into a large bowl and set aside.
- Repeat step 3 with the remaining mince and spice mix and swap the chilli flakes for the 1/2 tsp of cayenne
- Once browned, pour into the same bowl. Do not wash the pan.
- Now finely dice the onion, celery, carrot and garlic. Set the saucepan over a medium heat, add a splash of olive oil and then the onion. Sweat the onions for a few minutes and then add the garlic, celery and carrot. Cook for 8 minutes.
- Now, add the tomato paste to the pan and the paprika. Cook out for 2 minutes, then pour in the wine and beef stock and add the mince back to the pan. Cook on a low heat for 1-2 hours, until this has reduced by about half.
- Check the seasoning at this point and if you want, add another 1/2 tsp of chilli flakes and/or cayenne. It may also need a little salt and/or pepper.
- Now add the passata, 200ml of water and the kidney beans and then allow to reduce by about half, until it is thick. Once cooked, remove from the heat.
- Wash the rice in a sieve and then add to a pan with a pinch of salt. Now add 600ml of water to the rice, set on a high heat and bring to the boil. Once boiling, swirl the water and then turn the heat down to a low heat and place a lid on. Cook for 10 minutes or until all the water has been absorbed. Then serve with the chilli.
We hope it warms you up!