lemon cupcake recipe
This recipe is quick, simple and perfect to make with children and their little helping hands. They can also help with decorating – fun for everyone, just maybe add in a little extra time for tidying up!
125g unsalted butter
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs
125g self-raising flour
3 tbsp milk
For the icing:
125g softened unsalted butter
250g icing sugar
Top Tip: If you want the same piping effect as mine, double these quantities!
Cupcake paper cases
Two mixing bowls
Piping bag and nozzle (optional)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C degrees and line the muffin tin with paper cases.
- In mixing bowl, beat together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the flour (sifted), the eggs, milk and using a fine grater, the zest of the two lemons and the juice of ½ a lemon.
- Using an electric whisk mix everything together until it is a smooth mixture, if using a wooden spoon or rubber spatula try to be gentle with your mixing, making sure to not knock the air out.
- Spoon the cake mix into the cupcake cases, approximately one and a half teaspoons of the mix per case. Bake in the oven for 15-20 minutes.
- While the cupcakes are baking make the icing. Put the butter and half of the icing sugar into a bowl and beat with an electric whisk until evenly combined and smooth. Add the lemon juice of ½ lemon and the remaining icing sugar and beat again until light and fluffy.
- Once baked, put the cakes on a cooling rack to cool. When they have finished cooling, pipe or spread the icing onto the cakes.
Want to go the extra mile?
You could add a lemon flavour sweet, a small piece of chopped up lemon or sprinkle with any leftover zest for decoration if wanted.
The cupcakes will last 7 days if stored in an airtight container but we recommend eating them within 2-3 days of cooking to enjoy them at their best.