A simple but very delicious starter (or breakfast!). This dish is all about the produce so make sure everything is fresh as it’ll make the world of difference. If you can, source the asparagus and eggs from a local farmer or market stall, homegrown British asparagus really is the best and you can’t beat high quality free range eggs – you really can tell the difference! We’d also recommend using some good quality farmhouse salted butter.
This recipe is for 2 people and will take approx. 10-15 minutes to prepare
8 asparagus spears
Salt and pepper
Pan of lightly salted simmering water
- Add a pan to the hob and fill with water (enough to submerge an egg) and bring to the boil and add a pinch of salt.
- Put the frying pan on a medium heat and add a splash of oil. Add butter to the pan and melt. Season with salt and pepper. When the butter has melted add the asparagus to the pan and cook for 4 minutes, coating the asparagus with the butter.
- Immediately afterwards crack one egg into a bowl, swirl the pan of simmering salted water, and pour the egg from the bowl into the water. Repeat with each egg individually until all of the eggs have been added. Cook for 2 1/2 minutes.
- While the eggs are cooking, rinse the bowl and place a couple of sheets of kitchen roll inside. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and place into the bowl.
- To finish the asparagus, squeeze some lemon juice into the pan and coat with butter for one last time. After 10 seconds place the spears of asparagus on each serving plate.
- Place an egg on top of the asparagus and then divide the juice and butter from the pan between the serving plates.
- Finely grate parmesan over each plate of asparagus and egg.
- Serve and enjoy.